2000/06/20

Bad Girls S2E12 : Facing Up

Facing Up 坦然以對

寬恕別人需要智慧,要求別人寬恕需要勇氣

這一集以Shaz為故事主軸.照理,她不該與成年受刑人一起監禁,她加入拉寇,意外地提供<Bad Girls>檢視青少年犯罪的機會.這次Helen表現另一種獄政長才:對於沒有法律意識的青少年,教化比監禁更為重要.

同時間,二條故事線呈現強烈對比,Helen可以耐心地讓Shaz面對問題,再加上有福斯特夫人貴人相助,讓大和解圓滿完成;相對的,她沒有辦法在私領域中應用同樣的專業面對Nikki,再遇上旁人敲錯邊鼓,幾番陰錯陽差,讓兩人關係更加惡化.

Di Barker一向以好好小姐出現,這兩集顯示她的陰暗面.她愛嚼Dominic的流言,後來證實是她期望的投射.Dominic不也落入別人的暗示,誤解Helen對他有意.

Helen與Nikki在第二季甜蜜經營,近兩集開始急轉而下.她們這一集激烈爭吵到達高峰,Helen氣到放話要結束與Nikki的關係.編劇在醞釀第二季結尾時Nikki綁著繃帶的虐愛.Nikki傷口的樣貌像極女陰,讓最後一集的性愛,除了憤怒,更有受傷害的弦外之音.

Nikki知道Helen和Dominic喝小酒,一整個晚上生悶氣,看到Helen更沒好臉色.她成為憤怒花園第一位受害者.
Helen : Hi Nikki. 嗨,尼琪
Nikki : Hi. 嗨
Helen : I spoke to your solicitor last night. She reckons we'll get the go ahead this week. 我昨晚和妳的律師聯絡過,我們這星期還要繼續進行.
Nikki : Great. 很好啊.
Helen : I thought you'd be pleased. 我以為妳會高興.(唉,熱臉貼上冷屁股)
Nikki : Yeah, well, my appeal's not exactly big on my mind at the minute…not since I found out about your date with Dominic. 我現在沒關心上訴.....我發現妳和多明尼克約會.
Helen : What you talking about? 妳為何這樣說?
Nikki : You went out for curry with him, didn't you? 昨晚妳和他上咖哩館,對吧?
Helen : So? 又怎樣?
Nikki : So why didn't you tell me about it if that's all it was? 如果是,妳為什麼不告訴我?
Helen : Probably to avoid a reaction like this. 可能是想避免妳這種反應吧.(這是雞生蛋,蛋生雞的問題.但是Nikki被監禁,地位不對稱,Helen不事先告知此事,實有技術瑕疵)
Nikki : Oh, well great. Just ram's it home to me, doesn't it, what a huge part of your life I am. 太棒了,我在妳心中的地位那麼重要.(好酸的反話)
Helen : I went out to talk about work, if you really must know. 我只是去談工作,如果妳硬要知道的話.
Nikki : Did you? 是嗎?
Helen : Not that I have to explain what I do to you. 我根本不需要辯解.
Nikki : Fine. 好.
Helen : Do you know what? Sod you, Nikki! 妳知道嗎?妳真是混帳,尼琪!(真奇怪,Helen的耐性怎麼那麼快就到臨界點,跟著Nikki的情緒起伏.)

Dominic是憤怒花園的第二位受害者.
Dominic : Nikki! Seen anyone from works around here? 尼琪!瞧見工人過來嗎?
Nikki : Nope. 沒有
Dominic : Got another sink blocked up.... Where are they going, then? 有個水槽堵住了...妳要把它們種在那裡?
Nikki : Haven't decided yet. 還沒決定吧.
Dominic : Something the matter? 怎麼回事?(Dominic感覺到Nikki的敵意)
Nikki : Look, why don't you try the boiler room? 你要不要到暖爐房(找工人)?(Nikki反而沒有質疑他為什麼和Helen約會)

Helen的耐心是用在專業上.
Shaz : Hiya. How ya doing? 妳好嗎?
Helen : Take a seat, Sharon. 請坐,莎朗.
Shaz : Keep calling me Shaz, Miss. I hate "Sharon." 請叫我夏茲,長官.我討厭叫莎朗.
Helen : Alright. So what I'd like to do today is for us to talk about why you're in prison and how you feel about it. 好吧.今天我想來討論,妳入獄的原因,和妳的感受.
Shaz : Okay. 好啊.
Helen : It must still be quite a shock, facing up to it. 要面對它仍然是很嚇人的吧.
Shaz : I'm cool about it. It's alright in here. Well, most of the time, not down on the block. I just wanna know when's the karaoke, coz so far like nada. 我無所謂.入獄沒啥大不了.大部份的時候啦,只要不在地下室禁閉.我只想知道何時有卡拉OK,目前連個影兒都沒有.
Helen : That's not what I meant. 我不是指這個.
Shaz : What? You've took it off for good? 什麼?妳把它取消了?
Helen : Look, you're in here because you're responsible for the deaths of three people, and an unborn baby. What I'd like to know is how you're coping with the knowledge of that. 妳為三條人命入獄,其中一個胎死腹中.妳知不知道嚴重性.
Shaz : I didn't mean to kill nobody, did I? It was an accident. I'm just glad two of 'em was old already. 我無意殺人.那是意外.還好其中二位年紀已大.
Helen : Why is that? 為何這樣說?
Shaz : Well, they'd probably have been dead soon, anyway, wouldn't they? 他們可能快死了,不是嗎?
Helen : So, what, it doesn't really matter? 所以,就無所謂?
Shaz : I feel worse about the one who was pregnant. Just hope that cow, my manageress knows it all came from 'er. 我對孕婦很過意不去.只希望那母豬,我的老闆曉得這全因她而起.
Helen : You put all the blame on her. 妳把錯全推她身上.
Shaz : Well, she started me off, didn't she, being so nasty. 她先對我不好,不是嗎,態度惡劣. Helen : So it could happen all over again? Someone upsets you, you react and if innocent people get killed as a result, it's no fault of yours. 所以,它會一再發生.只要有人惹惱妳就反擊,既使是無辜的人被殺,也不是妳的錯.

事後Helen與Karen討論與Shaz第一次談話的結果.
Helen : She seemed more upset that I didn't call her Shaz than she did about the people she killed. 她難過別人沒叫她夏茲,更甚於她為被害人難過.
Karen : She was laughing her head off about Renee Williams this morning. 'Till I put her on bog brush duty. 今早她大笑瑞妮威廉絲(食物過敏而死)一事,直到我罰她去掃廁所.
Helen : I don't think she's heartless. I just think she can't get her head 'round the enormity of it. 我不認為她沒有良心.她只是不了解自己罪行的嚴重性.
Karen : Yeah, well she won't get past the parole board until she does. 她不了解就過不了假釋委員會.
Helen : I've been speaking to probation. I might try something different with her. I'll let you know if I can set it up. 我與緩刑犯觀護員談過.我可能會採用不同的方式.我安排好,就知會妳.

Di可以私或下開Dominic的玩笑,但是她把流言進一步往Karen放送,惡果開始發酵
Karen : Oh, Helen. I meant to ask you....what's this I'm hearing about you and Dominic McAllister? 噢,海倫.我想問妳....妳和多明尼克是怎麼回事?
Helen : And what's that? 什麼事?
Karen : Di Barker told us all about your hot date. 戴告訴我們,你們在熱烈交往.
Helen : Did she now? Well, the only thing hot about it for me was the curry sauce. 她曉得什麼?唯一熱的東西只有咖哩.
Karen : Oh, well. Maybe he's the slow burn type? 噢,或許他是細火慢燉型.



Helen對Shaz使出另一方案,但對Nikki卻在原地踏步.Helen與Nikki好像在比賽對彼此生悶氣的時間,如果Nikki吃醋是幼稚行為,Helen的發火似乎好不到那裡去,硬是對Nikki視若無睹.


Helen : Can I have a word with Sharon Wiley? 我要和莎朗談一下
Shaz : What have I done wrong now? 我做錯什麼?
Helen : I want to make a suggestion to you. I want to set-up a meeting between you relative of one of your victims. 我有個提議.我想安排妳和一位被害人家屬見面.
Shaz : 'eh? 啊?
Helen : Look, it's not as a punishment. I just think it will be a good opportunity for you both to come to terms with what's happened. And we'll give you all the help you need to prepare for it. 這不是處罰.是讓雙方了解事故的真相.我們會儘力協助妳.
Shaz : I can't meet them lot's relatives. They'll do me over. 我不能見這些家屬.他們會宰了我.
Helen : Look, they may well want to tell you how angry you've made them feel. It's only to be expected. But it's gonna happen in a closed visit under supervision. 他們可能會對妳發火.這是預料中事.但一切會在監控下進行.
Shaz : No way, man. I don't need this. 不行.我不要.
Helen : Sharon, we can't force you to agree. But, if you don't do something soon to improve your record you're gonna be cleaning a lot of toilets for a very long time. 莎朗,我不能逼妳同意.但不改善妳的行為紀錄,妳就得一直掃廁所.

Nikki受不了,撥開Di,搶在Helen的面前.
Nikki : I wanna apologize. What I said, I'm sorry. 我要道歉說了那些話.對不起.(要求別人寬恕需要勇氣,加分!)
Helen : Well I hope you are. Cause I don't want to be spoken to like that ever again. 我希望妳真有悔意.我可不想再那樣說話.
Nikki : Just couldn't help feeling jealous. 就是控制不了醋意.
Helen : Why? Did you really think I was trying to get off with Dominic? 為什麼?妳真以為我要和多明尼克在一起?
Nikki : He fancies you. 他喜歡妳.
Helen : So? There's lots of women in here fancy you. Should I be jealous of them? 又怎樣?這裡有很多女人喜歡妳.我也要吃醋嗎?
Nikki : It's not the same. 這不一樣.
Helen : Why? 為什麼?
Nikki : Because you.... You're the only woman I want... But you could decide you want a man as well. 因為......妳是我唯一想要的女人.但是妳同時可以要另一個男人.(這是對雙性戀根深柢固的恐懼)
Helen : I won't be dictated to when and how I can see my work colleagues. So you better stop thinking I'm so fickle about how I feel about you. 別規定我怎麼與同事見面.最好別再胡思亂想我會用情不專.(其實,Helen可以稍微安撫Nikki,怎麼反而又罵了一句呢?)

就在我們以為Nikki渡過一關,Dominic再度搗亂Helen的生活.
Helen : Dominic. 多明尼
Dominic : Bought you a drink. 我帶酒來了.
Helen : Sorry, I was miles away there. 對不起,這到底是怎麼一回事?
Dominic : Could we pick up where we left off the other night? 我們可不可以繼續那天未聊完的話題?
Helen : Sure. Come in. 好啊.請進.
Dominic : Thought you'd be taking your work home with you. 我想妳一定會帶工作回家.
Helen : You think that's sad? 很悲哀嗎?
Dominic : I admire you, Helen. Honest. I mean, if it wasn't for you…well, you know, I'd been out of the prison service long before now. 我敬佩妳,海倫.真的.如果不是妳.....我可能很早就離開獄政服務.
Helen : Which would've been a real waste. 那會很可惜.
Dominic : Well, you were the only person who made me believe that. And what you're doing now, I think it's really important. And if there are any courses I could go on, I'd really like to get more involved. 妳是唯一讓我堅持信念的人.妳的責任重大.如果有什麼計劃要進行,我願意參與更多.
Helen : Well, now I can't go into details, but if everything I'm planning comes off, there's going to be a real opportunity for you, Dominic. 我現在不能多講,但如果規劃出來,一定讓你發揮,多明尼克.
Dominic : Yeah? 真的?
Helen : Definitely. I just wish there was more like you. 當然.真希望有更多像你一樣的有志之士
Dominic : Well I just wish I could of got started sooner. 真希望趕快著手.
Helen : Did you never think about going on to University when you were at school? 你以前唸書時曾考慮讀大學嗎?
Dominic : Yeah, I got a place at Warwick. Sociology and politics. Then my dad lost his job, my mum got ill....I'm their only child so...我在瓦立克曾唸過社會學和政治學.後來父親失業,母親生病....我又是獨子....
Helen : So you got a good secure job. Don't worry, there's nothing you can't catch up on. 所以你找個穩當工作.別擔心,你一定能補完學業的.
Helen : Can't be that easy though, still living at home. 還住在家裡,有很多不方便吧. Dominic : I won't be soon. My mates offered me a flat share and I'm going to go for it. 快改變了.我打算和朋友一起分租公寓.
Helen : Good. Cause it can't be that easy with girlfriends. 很好.要不然交女朋友很麻煩.(Helen因為這句話,給了Dominic轉換話題的機會.)
Dominic : I only go out with rich ones with their own places. Usually means they're a bit older, but I like that. 我只和有房子、有錢的女友交往.通常她們都比我年紀大,但我喜歡.(真令人訝異)
Helen : The secret life of Dominic McAllister. 這就是多明尼克的秘密生活.
Dominic : Umm hmm. And you only go out with posh blokes with their businesses. 嗯.妳只和事業有成的熟男約會.
Helen : Past tense. 那是過去式了.(電話鈴響起)

Dominic自告奮勇代接電話,Nikki一聽到是他馬上掛斷.Helen心知肚明,那是Nikki來電.
Dominic : Did I cut them off? 我把它切斷了嗎?
Helen : Don't worry. I hate it when people hang up. 別擔心.我不喜歡對方這樣掛斷.
Dominic : Don't you want me to check the number? 妳要我回撥號碼嗎? 
Helen : No, no. Anyway, doesn't matter. 不,沒關係.

Dominic完全搞不清楚狀況,明明Helen一臉不悅,還試圖要親吻對方.
Helen : Don't. 不要 (Helen對於第一次親她的人,反應都是一樣的)
Dominic : Uh, I'm sorry, I thought....對不起,我以為...
Helen : Shit. 糟糕
Dominic : I'd better go. 我該走了.
Helen : No, don't. 別走.
Dominic : I'm sorry, I....I just got carried away. It won't happen again. I just read it all wrong. It's no big deal. 對不起....我太過份了.下次不會再犯了.是我完全誤會.這沒有關係.
Helen : No, it's me. I just should've told you I'm in love with someone else. That was a phone call. 不,是我的錯.我應該告訴你我和別人交往.就是那人打來的.
Dominic : Who is he? 是誰?
Helen : It's not a he, it's a she.....Nikki Wade. I beg you not to tell anyone, Dominic I'm really asking you as a friend here, promise me. 不是男的,是女的.是尼琪.我求你不要告訴別人.多明尼克,我以朋友的身份請求你,答應我.
Dominic : Sure. I'm sorry, you've really thrown me here. I mean, Yeah I knew Nikki Wade liked you, but...just never thought...當然.對不起,妳讓我楞住了.我曉得尼琪喜歡妳.....但從沒想到...
Helen : I just want you to know where I'm coming from.... Let's have another drink. 我只想讓你明白我的反應所為何來.....再來喝一杯吧.(Helen挺豪邁的)

兩人把酒釋懷,Helen準備送客.
Helen : You haven't brought your bike with you, have you? 你沒騎車來?
Dominic : No, no. I walked. 沒有.我走來的.(這小子居心叵測)
Helen : See you tomorrow. 明天見.
Helen關上門,在門上留下模糊的身影.

Nikki生氣地回到囚房.
Barbara : For god's sake, what's got into you? 老天,誰惹妳了?
Nikki : Helen bloody Stewart. 天殺的海倫司徒.
Barbara : What? 什麼?
Nikki : I phoned her house. Guess who was there surprise sur bloody prise, McAllister. 我打到她家.猜猜看誰意外出現.姓麥的.
Barbara : So? 所以呢?
Nikki : So, she's been lying to me. She's getting off with him. 她一直騙我.她正在和他相好.
Barbara : Hold on, how to you jump to that one? 等等,何以見得?
Nikki : He was in her house. What the hell else for? She knows he fancies her. 他在她家.還會幹什麼?她知道他喜歡她.
Barbara : Doesn't mean she's getting off with him. 並不表示她正與他相好.
Nikki : What? You invite a man you know fancies you into your house, at night, just the two of you if you're not really interested? No, you don't. 什麼?妳邀一個喜歡妳的人到家中,且在晚上,兩人獨處,別說妳沒興趣? 不,妳不會這麼做.

Barbara : You're guessing. And, if you can't trust her to have a bit more integrity than that....妳瞎猜.妳不能連這一點誠信都信不過她...
Nikki : Well, I obviously can't. 顯然我不能信任她.
Barbara : Oh, don't be so extreme. 別如此極端.
Nikki : I've already had this out with her today. She says one thing and then she does the bloody other. 今天我和她談過了.她說是一套,做是另一套.
Barbara : But why would she risk leading you on if she wasn't genuine, don't be ridiculous. 但是她幹嘛笨到冒著風險誤導妳.別開玩笑了.
Nikki : You don't know what you're bloody talking about, I've had affairs with straight women before. They don't know what truth means; they're so used to manipulating men. I don't know why I though she'd be any different. 妳不明白啦.我曾和異性戀女人交往.她們不知誠信為何物,太習慣操縱男人.搞不懂我為什麼認為她會不一樣.
Barbara : I just think you're proving exactly what you warned me about, that prison makes you paranoid. I think you should calm down and take your own advice. 妳應驗了之前妳警告我的事:監獄會把人關得疑神疑鬼.妳該冷靜下來,再聽聽內心的聲音.
Nikki : Hmpf. 嗯

隔天Dominic巡到Nikki的囚房,她的反應馬上激烈起來.
Nikki : Late night yesterday, was it, Sir? 昨天熬夜,是嗎,長官?
Dominic : Look....聽著....
Nikki : Get what you wanted...did you? 如願以償...對不對?
Dominic : I know it was you that phoned, Nikki. 我知道是妳打來的,尼琪.
Nikki : Huh, she shared that with you, too, did she? 嗚,她也告訴你了嗎?
Dominic : Another time. 下次再說吧.(Dominic談不下去了)
Nikki : You little shit! 你這混蛋.

 
Shaz : You got one of them relatives wants to see me, then? 妳找到其中一位家屬來見我嗎?
Helen : You seem very keen now. 妳現在熱衷了.
Shaz : Gotta be, haven't I? 要不然呢?
Helen : Take a seat. Well, yes, there is someone, Mrs. Foster. She's the widow of the old man you killed. She'd like to come and visit you tomorrow morning. 坐下來,福斯特太太是那位被害的老先生的遺孀.她明早會來見妳.
Shaz : Sweet. 太棒了.
Helen : Shaz, I'm still concerned you're not taking this seriously enough, It's not gonna be a half hour chat and that's it. I want you to think carefully about what it is that you want to say to Mrs. Foster. 夏茲,我一直很擔心妳不當它是一回事.這次會面只有半小時而已.妳必須想一想要對福斯特太太說什麼.
Shaz : Yeah, okay. 好吧.
Helen : And what she might want to say to you. 以及她可能會對妳說的話.
Shaz : Say what she likes. 她想說就說. 
Helen : I think you're going to have to go a little deeper than that. Imagine how you'd feel if someone casually killed someone you cared about. 妳得再想深入一點.假設妳關心的人被害,妳有何感受.
Shaz : I've said I'm cool about it! 我說過我無所謂.
Helen : Well, don't go changing your mind at the last minute. If you decide you can't go through with it, now's the time to say so. 別到臨頭才改變心意.如果妳受不了,現在就說出來.

憤怒花園第三回合上場.這回Helen先低頭.
Helen : Nikki....尼琪...
Nikki : Recognition. (這個字很有意思,Nikki的本意應是Re-cognition,重新認清妳)
Helen : Please, give me a chance to explain. I didn't invite Dominic 'round last night, he just turned up. 請給我機會解釋.昨晚是多明尼克不請自來
Nikki : Let him in though, didn't you? 妳讓他進門,不是嗎?(用這指控,太不識大體了)
Helen : I couldn't not let him in. 我不可能不讓他進門
Nikki : No, course you couldn't. 當然,妳不能
Helen : Look, do you want to know what happened or not? 妳知道發生什麼事嗎?
Nikki : Helen, I'm really glad for you. Must be a great relief to know, you can still pull the boys. Now why don't you just piss off, you two-faced tart! 海倫,我真替妳高興.妳還能再找男朋友,一定鬆了口氣.好了,妳這雙面蕩婦閃一邊去吧!(這句話太傷人了)
Helen : Just a minute, you are still my responsibility. And you better get in into your head, if you don't want to jeopardize your appeal, you will speak and behave towards me in line with prison rules. 等等,妳還在我的權責下.妳最好搞清楚,如果妳不想毀掉上訴機會,妳得照犯人的規矩才能跟我說話.(Helen居然用權力來反制Nikki,嘖嘖,這招不適合用在情侶關係)
Nikki : Or what? You'll report me? 怎麼?妳要提報我?
Helen : Don't push me any further, Nikki. 別再逼我,尼琪.
Nikki : Yeah? Well, now you ruined my plans I don't really give a shit about my appeal anymore. But don't worry, I won't forget to call you Miss. 妳壞了我的計劃,我才不在乎上訴.別擔心,我不會忘了尊稱妳長官.
Helen : I am so sick of you. 我恨死妳.
在憤怒花園傷人太多次,總會反挫到自己.Nikki一不留神,傷了自己的虎口.那個位置,那個形狀......

Dominic見到Helen,想要收拾尷尬的結局.
Dominic : Look, about the other night...I feel... I still really want to talk about courses and that.關於那一晚...我覺得...我還是想把課程的事談完.
Helen : Sure. 當然.
Dominic : You ok? 妳還好嗎?
Helen : Not really. I'm having a really tough time with Nikki. 不太好.我和尼琪處得很糟.
Dominic : How? 怎麼了?
Helen : It's stupid. She's convinced I was getting off with you. 真蠢.她認為我和你相好.
Dominic : What, even after you explained it to her? 什麼,即使妳解釋過了?
Helen : She doesn't believe me. 她不相信我.
Dominic : Why would she think you'd lie to her? 為什麼她認為妳會騙她?(Dominic是不會了解的)

這時,Di通報福斯特太太已來訪,Helen指示安排Shaz到場,順勢對Dominic,其實也是對Di說,課程的事稍後再談.但是看在Di的眼中,好像是兩個人鬧彆扭.


Nikki受傷,拖了一個晚上才去醫護室治療.這次出現一個重要角色:護士Janine.
Janine : You really had a go at yourself here. 妳把自己傷得不輕.
Nikki : I'm not a slasher It was an accident. 我不是愛打殺,這是意外.
Janine : Did I say different? ...When did you do this? 我有點出什麼嗎?...妳何時受傷?
Nikki : Yesterday....didn't think it was this bad. 昨天....沒想到這麼嚴重.
Janine : Hold it still while I try and clean it up a bit. I'll have to give you anti-tetanus, too. 清理傷口時要忍著.我還要給妳一針抗破傷風.
Nikki : You're agency, aren't you? 妳是專業護士,對吧?
Janine : Yeah. So? 所以呢?
Nikki : So, I'll let you give me an injection. 那麼,我會讓妳來打針
Janine : Lucky me. 我真幸運
Nikki : Sorry I was a bit arsey with you. 對不起,我對妳有點苛薄
Janine : You're okay 沒關係
Nikki : Just having a bit of a rough time right now. 我最近很不好過
Janine : Partner problems? 小兩口的問題? (這個護士上道,沒說是男朋友的問題)
Nikki : How'd you guess? 妳怎麼猜到?
Janine : If it's not drugs, it's usually home life. What is it, gone off with somebody else? 如果不是毒品,通常就是家庭.怎麼了,和某人鬧分手?(這個護士上道,沒說是和男朋友鬧分手,要不然,Nikki又要在這裡出櫃)
Nikki : Bingo. 猜中了
Janine : That's tough. 那很慘
Nikki : Yeah it is, when you're stuck in prison. 沒錯,尤其是困在牢裡
Janine : Tell me about it. My boyfriend got deported back to Australia a couple of months ago, overstaying his visa. 可不是呢.我的男友因為簽證過期,幾個月前被遣返澳洲
Nikki : Yeah? 真的?
Janine : So I'm stuck here trying to pay off all our debts, before I can join him. 我得困在這裡,還清我們所有的債務,才能與他會合.
Nikki : How long is that gonna take you? 妳要還多久?
Janine : Too long. Why I'm going onto nights, and I work mornings in a hospice. Five hours sleep, couple of pills. It'll knacker me, but I'm not having me life run by the friggin' home office. 很久.這就是為什麼我晚上加班,早上在收容所工作.一天睡5個小時,吃幾顆藥,就夠了.我才不想綁在該死的辦公室裡.
Nikki : Good for you, girl. 做得好,妹子.

Helen的大戲終於上場.搞半天,福斯特夫人比Helen更適合負責感化工作.
Helen : We'll be in here. She'll be brought through that door and sit the other side. 我們在這裡.她會從那扇門帶進來,坐在另一邊.
Mrs Foster : Why is that she's not dangerous, is she? 為什麼,她並不危險,對吧?
Helen : No. But...不,但是....
Mrs Foster : Well, why do we want that between us for? 為什麼要分隔我們?
Helen : Well...嗯.....
Mrs Foster : Best if we all sit over on the other side. 最好我們都坐在那一邊.
Helen : Sorry, I just assumed. 對不起,我只是想當然爾.
Mrs Foster : I didn't come here to keep my distance, dear. 我既然來了,就不用隔得遠遠的.
Helen : No, I understand. 不必.我了解.
Mrs Foster : In here, is it? 在這裡,對吧?
Helen : Yes. 是的.
Mrs Foster : Could put the chairs 'round in a circle, couldn't we? 可以把椅子圍成一圈,對吧?(她真是太高段了,充分發揮地理優勢)
Helen : Yes, if you like. 可以,如果妳想這樣.
Mrs Foster : I'm not having her thinking I'm scared of her. 我不想讓她覺得我懼怕她.
Helen : No. 沒錯.

Dominic 決定用尊貴的方式向Nikki告白.
Nikki : What do you want? 有何貴幹?
Dominic : I want to tell you something you need to know. 有一些事妳該知道.
Nikki : Spare me. 饒了我吧
Dominic : If you think Helen's even remotely interested in me, you're making a big mistake. I wish she was. 'Cause I'd be better for her than you are. 如果妳以為海倫會有一絲地喜歡我,妳就大錯特錯.我希望她是,因為我比妳適合她.(他難道不能省去這句話?)
Nikki :Oh I bet you would. 噢,你是噢.
Dominic : Nikki, she's in love with you. She made me promise not to tell anyone, and this is the one time I will, 'coz for her sake you better believe it. 尼琪,她愛的是妳.她要我保密.我只在這時候透露,因為妳得相信她.
Nikki : You really are a saint, aren't you? 你真是聖人,對吧?
Dominic : What? 什麼?
Nikki : Saying she didn't flirt with you? Didn't make you think you were in with a chance? How far did you get before the big confession huh, or did that just turn you on even more? 你說她沒和你調情?你不是認為有機會嗎?你來告解前已進展到什麼程度,還是這樣做讓你更興奮?(Nikki就是嘴巴太壞)
Dominic : It's all in your head, Nikki. 全是妳的胡思亂想,尼琪.

Di把Shaz帶進來.
Shaz : I mean, if I'd known a bit of bad oyster juice could kill people, I'd 'a never 'ave done it, would I? Anyway, it was all that cow, my manageress. She was the one I wanted to get back at. 如果我知道壞掉的生蠔汁液會毒死人,我真的不會去做.這都是那母豬,我主管的錯.我只想報復她.
Mrs Foster : See, that's what I don't understand. Why did you think poisoning other people would make things better for you? 我不懂.為什麼妳覺得對別人下毒,會讓妳有利?
Shaz : I just thought it'd get her into trouble. You don't know what it's like. ‘Being got at every day, called names, made to feel stupid. 我以為會讓她惹上麻煩.妳不知道那種感受:每天被抓,被罵,覺得自己很笨.
Mrs Foster : So, you were too scared to stand up for yourself? 所以,妳怕到不敢挺身而出?
Shaz : Wasn't scared. Just... 不是怕.只是....
Mrs Foster : Why didn't you tell her to stop picking on you? Or, say you'd report her? 妳為什麼不叫她不要找妳麻煩?或是,檢舉她? (Shaz轉頭不發一語)
Helen : I think you should try and answer that one, Shaz. 妳要回答問題,夏茲 (Helen現場的最大貢獻,好像只有這一句話)
Shaz : I was just scared I'd get the sack…and then me stepdad would bash me. That's why I’m glad I'm in prison coz he can't touch me now, can he? 我怕我會被解雇.....繼父會揍我.所以我很慶幸在牢裡,他就碰不到我,對吧?
Mrs Foster : I bought those oysters for my husband as a treat. I was never very fussy about them myself, but he loved them with a bottle of stout. I don't remember you serving me, but you would have been gloating every time you sold some, wouldn't you, knowing they were going to make someone sick. How could you do that? 生蠔是買來是送給我先生.我從來不喜歡那一味,但他喜歡配黑啤酒下菜.我不記得妳服務過我,但妳可能每賣出一些就在竊笑,心想那些傢伙要鬧病號.妳怎麼下得了手?
Shaz : Said I'm sorry, didn't I? 我說過對不起了
Mrs Foster : No, you're kidding yourself, dear. You've only got as far as being sorry for yourself. If you could have seen my poor Alfie, don't ever think old age makes you more ready to die. When your time's running out, it just makes it seem all that more precious. If you knew how much I miss him, you'd never forgive yourself, never. 不,別開玩笑了.妳只覺得自己委曲.如果妳見過我那可憐的老公,根本不會認為人老了,死了活該.人生接近終點,更會珍惜.如果妳知道我多麼懷念他,妳會自責不已.

Nikki對於Dominic的道白,嘴上沒什麼好話,心裡卻是受用的.她突然良心發作,想向Helen道歉.

Dominic這一會兒很官腔地把她攔在門外.倒是準備奉茶的雙茱,看到Nikki急切地想會Helen,私下轉手偷渡Nikki進去.

回到屋內,Shaz被福斯特夫人一番話打動,眼淚直下.
Mrs Foster : Here. Have a good blow. 那去,好好發洩一下.(心胸寬大的福斯特夫人還遞給她一張面紙)
Shaz : You hate me, don't you? 妳恨我,對不對?
Mrs Foster : No. I hate what you did, but I don't hate you. I just want some good to come out of this now. 不.我恨妳的作為,但不恨妳.我只希望這件事能善了.

Di開門讓人奉茶進去,誰料到由Nikki現身,趁機找Helen說話.說也諷刺,門內正在上演一場和解大戲,原以為Helen會感同身受,順勢原諒Nikki.誰料到Nikki的姿態越低,Helen的口氣越硬.
Helen : What the hell are you doing here? 妳在這裡搞什麼鬼?
Nikki : Dominic told me what you said to him. I've been a total arsehole. I love you, Helen, I know you love me. 多明尼克轉告妳的話.我真是混球.我愛妳,海倫,我知道妳也愛我.

Helen : No. No, Nikki. You're too late. You said things I can't forget. I don't know what I feel about you anymore. 不,不,尼琪.太晚了.我不能釋懷妳的話.我對妳沒有感情了.
Nikki : Please....拜託.....
Helen : No! Go and fall for someone else. 不!走開,去找別人吧.(這是編劇虐待觀眾的天性)

Helen實在太貼心了,事後還差Denny去安慰Shaz.除了兩人抱頭痛哭安慰之外,Denny順便掏心掏肺地表白,「我愛妳」、「如果妳死了,我也會跟著死」.但Denny後來隨著Shell逃獄而去,留下Shaz在獄中.Denny有多愛她,嗯,是個問號.


Helen完全沒有獲得成就感,繼與Nikki吵架後,緊接著和Karen大小聲.
Karen : Hi, you off? 嗨,妳要離開了?
Helen : Yeah. 是的
Karen : How did Sharon Wiley's visit go? 莎朗的會面情況如何?
Helen : Pretty devastating. 很驚人.
Karen : What, so...? 所以呢?
Helen : So, I don't think she'll be making any more flip jokes about poisoning people. 所以,我不認為她會再對別人下毒的事開無禮的玩笑.
Karen : Good. 很好.
Helen : I'll give you a full report tomorrow. 明天會給妳完整的報告.
Karen : So, where's he taking you tonight then? 今天他要帶妳去那裡?
Helen : Who? 誰?
Karen : Dominic. 多明尼克.
Helen : Listen, Karen! I come to this bloody place to do a job, alright? (storms off.) 聽著,凱倫.我來這裡只為了工作,好嗎?

Nikki之前再怎麼錯,她奮力道歉的精神就值得Helen原諒.
Barbara:Aren't you coming out of here at all tonight, then? 妳一整個晚上都不出來?
Nikki:nope. 不想
Barbara:She'll be back home by now, won't she? 她這時候該到家了,不是嗎?
Nikki:Probably. 或許吧
Barbara:At least you know she's living and breathing in the same little part of the world as you. You shouldn't give up. 至少妳知道她和妳同在世界上某個角落一起生活、呼吸.妳不該放棄.(Barbara給Nikki一張電話卡.是不是Nikki之前的電話卡都用來打給Helen用光了?)

最困難的道歉:說給機器聽.
Nikki:Hi, it's me. Please pick up the phone if you're there…I'm not gonna give up on you, Helen, I can't.Just give me another chance. I can't believe this has happened to us. I know it's all my fault, but...I've got to talk to you . 嗨,是我.如果妳在家,請拿起電話吧....我不想放棄妳,海倫,我不能.再給我一次機會.我不敢相信會發生這種事.都是我的錯....我一定得和妳談一談.

就在Helen最後決定拿起電話時,Nikki剛好掛上電話.兩人失之交臀,觀眾莫不扼腕.這到底是編劇虐待觀眾的天性,還是觀眾被虐的習性?

我曾想像,Helen拿起電話會說什麼?萬一,任一方面子掛不住再度開罵,第二季該怎麼結尾?

2000/06/13

Bad Girls S2E11 : Rough Justice

Rough Justice 粗糙的正義

Rough Justice這個片語有時譯成「草率處罰」,但譯成「粗糙的正義」更能傳達這一集的主題.對於正義,拉寇大多數的犯人採用自力救濟的方式,但是風險極高,這些人進到監獄就是個明證.但是編劇常常突顯獄中的自力救濟,不是查無實證,就是大家心知肚明,最後不了了之.這一集Renee被群體念力「致死」就是再一次例證.

Helen是循法治路線取得正義的忠實信徒.既使如此,她還是小小違規把Nikki的檔案偷偷影印出去.相形之下,Nikki顯得很可憐.她的性格是自力救濟型,跟著Helen走上一條遙遠艱困的上訴之路.她在案發時受夠司法體系對她的不公不義,Nikki對法治路線充滿著不安全感.這或許解釋了為什麼這一集她重啟上訴正軌,同時對Helen與其他男性或女性的互動產生妒忌,因為"Nikki-Helen"便象徵著她對司法體系的又愛又恨.Nikki從這一集持續產生的醋意,與她到第三季為止上訴之路的忐忑不安緊緊相隨.

本集Jim Fenner與Yvonne對待Renee的方式是絕佳對比.Fenner明的是用司法的權限,暗中卻用非法暴力恐嚇,讓Renee不敢過於囂張.Yvonne用非法手段,卻把一樁下毒謀殺案利用食物過敏偷渡成意外事件.不論用那一種方式,觀眾內心裡可能都對Renee的下場暗自叫好,恐怕還慶幸最後調查不了了之.觀眾在螢幕下期待逍遙法外的心理才是觀賞犯罪影片最顛覆之處.

Renee的角色只是用來引起民怨的廉價工具,她一連串的暴力傾向讓人摸不著頭緒.一早與Yvonne狹路相逢,便要蠻力相向,根本沒想過萬一事發被逮怎麼脫困?



Nikki拔刀相助,制住Renee.怪的是Nikki和Yvonne壓根兒沒想到要報告獄官.這廂只說妳要小心,另一廂便回我會顧好自己.




Helen終於重出江湖.
Dominic: Helen! 海倫!
Helen: Hello, Dominic! 嗨,多明尼克!
Dominic: Does that mean you're back now? 妳要回來了嗎?
Helen: Yep! 是啊!
Dominic: Oh! That's good. I guess I'll be seeing you around then. 噢!很好.我會常遇見妳了.
Helen: Yeah! Definitely. 當然.

Dominic還在餘光打量,被Di看見打趣地說:" You should be working, not eyeing at woman. 你該工作,而不是瞄著女人看." (有時候,透過別人的眼睛才能看見自己的慾望.)

Helen連串招呼,她的感情線便一路「勾絲」起來.
Nikki: Helen! When did you come in? 海倫!什麼時候進來的?
Helen: This morning! I've got meetings all day. 今天早上!我一整天都要開會.
Nikki: You have long? 會進行很久?
Helen: I have set up a lifer group. We are going to be seeing a lot more of each other. 我要成立終生監禁受刑人團體.我們將會常常見面.
Nikki: In private, I hope. 我希望是私下見面.(誰不希望?)
Helen: You are going to have to keep your hormones under control, Nikki. Listen! I got some good news. I sent a copy of your file to a lawyer friend of mine. She wants to meet you. 妳得控制一下自己的賀爾蒙,尼琪.我有個好消息給妳.我把妳的檔案影本寄給我一位律師朋友.她想見見妳.
(Nikki好可憐,與慾望滿足最遠的距離,不是沒有對象,而是對象就在眼前,卻什麼也不能做.)
Nikki: She knows about my case? 她知道我的案子?
Helen: She thinks you could appeal your sentence. 她認為妳可以上訴.
Nikki: I can't believe it, you're joking. Wait till Fenner hears this. 真不敢相信,妳開玩笑吧.費拿聽到時不知會如何.
Helen: Don't wind them up! I kind of broke the rules when I photocopied your file. Listen! We got a long way to go. So, don't get your hopes too high. 別說出去.我影印妳的檔案多少是違反規定的.我們還有很長的一段路要走.別抱太大的希望.
Nikki: Yeah! But just to even have a hope. 是的!連個希望都不行.
Helen: I've got to go. I got more meetings. I'll see you tomorrow. 我得走了.還有很多會要開.明天見.
Nikki: Yeah. 好吧.

在上一集,Renee每次打菜便要詳問Shell菜餚裡有什麼內容物;看到Denny和Shell吃的零食便整包丟棄.這一次Shell說道:"chopped mixed nuts, salt, flavor....有核桃碎片、鹽、調味料...." Renee突然說她不要那道菜. Shell在她背後咀咒:"I only wish she'd choke on it. 希望她噎死."

這給了旁邊的Yvonne很大的靈感,看著杯子裡的冰淇淋若有所思.(冰淇淋通常用核桃碎片做dressing)

Renee持續對Crystal作人身攻擊,而且踏到種族歧視的紅線.Crystal直接向Karen告狀.Jim Fenner自告奮勇來處理.剛開始他劃下行為的準線:"As long as you keep your thoughts to yourself. But if you open that again, I'll have you. 妳只能放在心裡.如果妳再說出口,我一定要妳好看."

接著他故意把她的用品倒出來,美其名為:"It's my job to act on my suspicions. 只要有嫌疑,我就得動手." 標準的私刑作風.但是Renee還不是陽奉陰違.

Shaz利用速度的優勢,把Bodybag誘騙進來,反關在囚室內.這兩人跑到廚房,Denny只顧著拿零嘴,Shaz重施故技,到廚餘桶拿腐壞的殘渣,回來趁Renee不注意,偷塞進她的飲料內.但Renee喝一口發覺飲料壞掉了,馬上吐出來.

她們在廚房看到獄方放置老鼠藥,Shaz並沒有取用,可是卻讓她的擅自離營蒙上一層謀殺的陰影.


Helen在拉寇的工作正式開張.
Helen: Morning! Just take a seat. Are you the last one? OK!早安!請坐.妳是最後一位嗎?好了!
Shaz : Alright. Miss. 好了.長官. 
Helen: Yeah! So my name is Helen Stewart for those that don't know me. I suppose I'm about to start by letting you all know what I'm doing here! Basically, it's going to my job to represent you as a special group within the prison service, make sure your particular needs as lifers are being taken into account by the management staff.
向不認識我的人自我介紹,我叫海倫司徒.我先說明我在此的目的.基本上,我的職責是在獄政中代表這個特別的組織,確保終生監禁受刑人的需求都受到管理單位的照料.
Shaz : That ain't happening now. We are being treated just like the bed and breakfast girls, aren't we? 不可能.我們只能有簡單的住宿和飲食,不是嗎?
("bed and breakfast"本意是指民宿旅遊,但這裡是指字面上的意義:床與早餐)
Helen: You will need to maximize your chances of every release. So we are going to look at your offending behavior and make sure you are ready for review and parole boarding interviews.
妳們必須爭取每一個出獄的機會.我們會檢視妳的犯罪行為,以確保妳們能進入假釋審查會進行評估.
Shell : You are going to represent us? Can you give us a wet dryer, say under a week …妳要代表我們?能不能在一個星期弄一台烘乾機
Nikki: Stupid tart! Shut it! Will you? 笨蛋!閉嘴!好嗎? (Nikki忍不住要當Helen老師的風紀股長)

Helen: Why don't you do the same, Nikki? 不如請妳也一起安靜,尼琪?
Nikki: Sorry! 對不起!
Helen: Can we move on from here, please. I know you are all at different stages in your sentence. You Sharon. 我們開始吧.妳們的服刑情況都不同.妳是莎朗.
Shaz : Shaz. Miss, call me Shaz. 夏茲,請叫我夏茲
Helen: Shaz, you're just starting out. Whereas Shell, you've already had your first progress report. 夏茲,妳才剛服刑.而雪兒,妳的第一份進度報告已完成了.

Helen: What I want you all to do is fill up these questionnaires. It just helps me to draw up individual programs for you all. They are pretty straightforward. But if you got any trouble reading them or you need a hand to fill it out, you just let me know.
我想請各位填這份問卷.能讓我為各位進行個別規劃.內容都很直接.如果看不懂,或是需要幫忙填寫,請告訴我.
Shell : Well! This is a first , ain't it? Being asked what we think. 哇!這是第一次吧?要問我們的意見.
Helen: Ok! So if you fill it out tonight. And I'll see you back here tomorrow! Thank you! 如果妳們今晚填好,明天請交來!謝謝各位! 

Nikki終於找到機會和Helen咬耳朵.
Nikki: I'm going to phone my lawyer now about my appeal. 我要打電話找律師來上訴了.
Helen: Are you still in touch with Trish? 妳還與崔西亞有聯絡吧?
Nikki: Why? 為什麼問起?
Helen: Because you’ll need a friend outside if this goes ahead. Publicity, lobbying, that kind of thing.  因為妳需要外面的朋友進行公關遊說之類的事.
Nikki: She is still running our club. We keep in touch. 她還在經營我們的俱樂部.我們保持聯絡.
Helen: Good! 很好!
Nikki: What? Hard to believe I'm a business woman, do you? 怎麼?不敢相信我是商場女強人?

Helen: Sometimes. 有些時候.
Nikki: But doing well apparently. I'm going to show you a good time when I get out. 經營得可好呢.等我出獄,我會好好招待妳.(我很好奇有那種"good time"?她的神情真讓人想入非非.)
Helen: I hope so. 我很期待. (這個近距離讓人誤以為會發生什麼驚喜.)
Dominic : Helen! 海倫! (開汽水抗議!Zandra死後,他就變得不太可愛)
Helen: Dominic. Is there something you want? 多明尼克.你要找什麼?
Dominic : I was just gonna lock up in here. 我要來關門了.
Helen: Fine! We were just leaving! 好吧!我們正要離開!

Yvonne從圖書館查了Anaesthetics麻醉藥的資訊,接下來看到畫面有不明人士用書本敲碎堅果.等到Renee就座的空檔,只見調味料被調換,鏡頭輪流切到周遭人惡狠的眼神,想要製造「是誰下手」的懸疑感--其實早看穿主謀者.

她不知情地大快朵頤,就在Di的嘮叨中猝死.我必須要說,我非常不喜歡Bad Girls處理死亡的畫面,常常是大特寫鏡頭,感覺很俗氣.

警方介入調查這起命案,大家七嘴八舌.Bodybag一反常態護衛起Shaz:"She shared a cell with Williams, Ma'am. Plenty of opportunity there if she wanted to bump her off. 她和威廉絲同住,長官.如果她想下毒手,早就有機會了."

Bodybag盤算那次不小心放出Shaz,應該不是造成Shaz毒死Renee的原因,否則她的麻煩就大了.


Helen偷偷進了Nikki的房間,正是四下無人的好機會,她竟然只有摸摸臉蛋,放棄親吻的機會!
Helen: Sorry! 對不起!
Nikki: Oh! Christ. 天呀!
Helen: You are on your own. 只有妳一個人.
Nikki: The screws let Barbara out coz she makes their tea. 獄官把芭芭拉放出去泡茶.

Helen: I've come to collect the questionnaire. Did you fill it in? 我來收問卷.妳填完了嗎?(這是Helen door-to-door 的收件服務嗎?)
Nikki: Yeah! My board review is in 2 months' time. My appeal might be on the way by then. 是的!我還有二個月就要開審查會.那個時候可能在上訴了.
Helen: If it's granted...... What's this? 一切順利的話.......這是什麼?(如此私密的信件竟隨手擺在床頭櫃)
Nikki: I'm not usually the soppy type, but says a lot of things I don't get a chance to say in this place. 我不是多愁善感型,但是寫了許多平常在這裡不方便表達的話.
Helen: I'll wait till I'm in bed. I'll read it then. 我會留到就寢時來讀.

這一集的程咬金真多,這次是Karen.
Karen: Sorry, about this is lock up. 抱歉有這個禁閉措施.
Helen: Oh! Hope it's not going to go on too long? 希望不會太久?
Karen: It depends on how long the investigation are still going to last. 要取決於調查時間多久.
Helen: Well! I need to meet with the lifers on Monday no matter what. 不管怎樣,週一我都得會見這些終生受刑人.
Karen: Of course! 當然!
Helen: Bye, Nikki! I'll look forward to reading your views. 再見,尼琪!我很期待妳評論.
Nikki: Yeah, I mean every word. 字字都是肺腑之言.(Karen是聰明人,她的眼神透露出她感覺兩人關係非比尋常)

警方對一干嫌疑犯進行詢問.
Shaz曾用壞掉的生蠔毒死三條人命,所以第一個開刀.小妮子很靈光:從我入獄後就沒有訪客,拿什麼去下毒?




Crystal因為受Renee
種族歧視的傷害,被認定有殺人動機.她認為在這個人間地獄裡:Every girls on G-Wing had a motive. 每個在G區的人都有殺人動機.



Shell負責上菜而且曾咀咒Renee噎死.她便把Shaz和Yvonne全拉下水,還大言不慚:"I don't want anyone thinking I'm a grass. 我可不想讓人以為我是出賣者".警方倒是看穿她的心理:"You don't want us thinking you're a poisoner. 妳是不想讓我們以為妳是下毒者吧."


轉折點是Bodybag向Kare招認她被反關的失誤.結果她被降階、扣一個月薪水,連退休金都受影響.




Shaz因為飲料塞東西的小事,爽快擔下罪行.Yvonne覺得年輕人真沈不住氣,轉而恐嚇Denny,毒死人是會被關進瘋人院.




這回變成Denny出面為Shaz頂罪.啊,愛情的力量真偉大.她忘了在外面等她團聚的老母親了.




在一連串混亂中,Helen好像置身事外,與Dominic很親密的抬槓.
Helen: Heya, Dominic! How are you doing? 嗨,多明尼克!你好嗎?
Dominic: Bet you're not missing G wing now. 我敢說妳沒再懷念G區吧.
Helen: What? Managing you cringing, back stabbing bastards? I think not. 什麼?要管那些表面唯諾,卻背地傷人的傢伙們?我可不想.
Dominic: Well, in that case I won't tell you I've been missing you, then. 如果是這樣,我就不要說我懷念妳了.
Helen: Oh, go on! 別這樣!
Dominic: Listen! We should have a catch up drink. 我們來喝小酒聚聚.
Helen: Yeah! I want to pick your brains about Shell Dockley. 好呀!我想問你有關雪兒杜的事情.
Dominic: What about tomorrow night? We have a curry or something. 明晚如何?吃點咖喱之類的.
Helen: Yeah! Good idea. You don't mind if I take notes. 好主意.不介意到時我作筆記吧.
Dominic: I can sum up now if you like. Born abused, took drugs, committed crime, ended up in prison, same as most of the women in here. 我可以幫妳彙整:天生虐待狂、吸毒、
犯下重罪,接著被監禁,和這裡多數人一樣遭遇.
Helen: I'll see ya. 明天見.

Nikki聽到他們的對談.不是談話的內容,而是談話的方式,或許讓她覺得不公平.她與Helen波折的感情之路,開始投下陰影.







當另一組人馬在調查Renee事件,Nikki的案情正由律師Claire進行了解.
Claire : Pleased to meet you! 幸會!(Nikki這個角度看來人高馬大.)
Helen: I'll come back in an hour. 我一個小時候回來.
Claire: She'll be fine! 沒問題.
Nikki: I'm grateful, you know. For your interest in my case. 我很感激妳願意研究我的案子.
Claire: Well! You are the only woman in Britain serving life for murdering a police officer. It's very high profile. 妳是英國唯一一位因殺警而判終生監禁.知名度很高.
Nikki: Well! I look forward to seeing you interviewed on the telly. 我很期待看到妳在電視上接受訪問.(這種英國式幽默好酸)
Claire: Why did your defense not make you take the stand? 為何妳的辯詞不能成立?
Nikki: I'm not known for my diplomacy. 我一向不夠圓滑.
Claire: What does that mean? 此話怎說?
 
Nikki: They reckoned I'd end up mouthing off about the pigs....the Police. 他們認為我對這些豬....這些警察,大聲回嘴.
Claire: Have you ever had a conviction for violence? 妳承認犯罪嗎?
Helen: No convictions for anything. 完全否認. 
Claire: Doesn't sound like somebody who can't control herself. I think they were wrong not to call you. It always makes you look guilty. 不像是不能自我控制的人.沒傳詢妳出庭是個錯誤.讓妳看起來像是有罪.
Nikki: Too late now. 為時已晚了.
Claire: I have been doing some preliminary inquiries about the dead police officer detective Gossard. Your defense team were denied access to some important information about him. A year before he died, his wife left him, citing mental and physical cruelty as her reasons. Seems Detective Sgt. Gossard was a man with a violent history. Did you know that? 我對被殺的警員勾煞初步調查.妳的辯護團隊要調閱他的資料被拒.他死前一年,他太太以他精神及肉體加害而求去.似乎勾煞警員有暴力前科.妳知道嗎?
Nikki: No. 我不知道.

Claire: Your statement to the police didn't help you much. It kind of gives the impression you couldn't have cared less. 這份在警方的證詞,沒有幫到妳.讓妳表現出蠻不在乎的樣子.
Nikki: When I saw him lying down, I was totally shocked. But the police wouldn't believe me or Trish that the guy was trying to rape her, no matter what we said! They questioned me for hours, I just lost it. 當我看到他倒下,我呆住了.但警察不相信我和崔西亞,那傢伙想強暴她,不論我們怎麼說.他們審問我好幾個小時,我只好認輸.
Claire: Do you still have a relationship with Trish? 妳和崔西亞還有關係嗎?
Nikki: No! 沒有!
Claire: Will she testify again for you? 她會為妳作證?
Nikki: Of course! 當然!
Claire: It's nice when you can be still friends, eh? 能夠維持朋友關係是件好事,對吧?

(關於Nikki的案情,另請參考:104 The Victim 受害者)

Helen回來會合.
Helen: Hi, so how did it go? 進行如何?
Claire: We've just finished. 很順利.
Nikki: I can't thank you enough. 感激不盡.
Claire: Pleasure! 我的榮幸.
Helen: Bye. I'll see you at the gate. 待會門口見.
Claire: I'll be in touch. 保持聯絡.
Helen: Thanks. 謝謝
Claire: Nice to have met you. 再見.
Helen: Well! You look pleased enough! 妳看來很高興.
Nikki: I am. The guy I killed turned out he has a record of violence. First I've heard of it, she is really good, your friend. 我很高興.我殺的那傢伙原來有暴力前科.
Helen: Yeah! 對.
Nikki: You've known her for long. 妳認識她很久了.(Nikki居然連這種社交性的吻頰禮都要吃味.)
Helen: Yonks. 對.
Nikki: Is that all she is. A friend? 她只是朋友?

Helen: Nikki. I told you before, I've never been into women. 尼琪.我說過,以前從沒對女人感興趣. (Helen第一次看到Nikki的醋勁,以後還有得受呢!)
Nikki: Just man. 只對男人感興趣
Helen: STOP being jealous. Look, that letter you wrote me. I feel the exactly the same! Trust me. 別再吃味了.我的感情和妳信的內容是一樣的.妳要信任我.


Renee的驗屍報告終於出爐.她是死於anaphylactic shock 過敏性休克.過敏原是花生堅果類.這就是為什麼Renee老是詢問Shell菜裡有什麼材料.

Shaz, Denny高興逃過一劫,但是Karen認定兩人還是得接受禁閉的處罰,而且要把她們兩個隔得越遠越好.



Di找Dominic來幫忙,可是這位先生儘注意著還有15分鐘就要與Helen會面,享用酒與咖哩菜.糟就糟在Di還在旁邊煽火這兩樣是:"a lethal combination 致命的組合".讓Nikki意外聽到時,臉色大變.

(或許這解釋<Nina's Heavenly Delights 蓮娜的甜美生活(2006)>( *Review)為什麼把咖哩和情慾結合在一起.)


結尾揭曉Jim Fenner酗酒的原因.這個角色很不討人喜歡,可是男演員的表演功力真的很結實,這種窩囊戲同樣入木三分.只是Karen太同情弱者,三兩下便從照顧者衍伸愛苗.唉.....