Shit Happens 天有不測風雲
這一集有三個故事線,Yvonne與Denny一開始若有似無的吸引,原來是類同母女情感的相互取暖.在過程中介紹Josh及Lauren二位新角色出場.Shell一邊繼續她的搔擾電話,一邊對Jim Fener虛與委蛇.但就像玩10點半撲克,最終以爆點收場,Jim發現她的詭計,二人竟互扯對方,一起落下同歸於盡的深淵(真是這樣就好了).可憐的Nikki無端被掃到颱風尾,差點就被遷獄.還好危機就是轉機,一場危機變成Nikki-Helen的感情催化劑,我們盼到了真正兩情相悅的初吻;但是轉機馬上變成轉折,換成Helen離開拉寇,留下當時瞠目結舌的英國觀眾.
這一集是Nikki-Helen關係最曲折起伏的一集.Nikki好不容易盼到Helen歷經毀婚後能回來工作,雖然上一集倆人有點口角,但Nikki就是刀子嘴豆腐心,還是希望能看見Helen.
一開場,Nikki試圖對Helen表示善意,但是Helen一付避之惟恐不及,沒好氣地臉一沉,身一側,像另一個軌道的星球,完全不交錯地擦身而過.
Jim Fenner認定搔擾電話是Nikki搞鬼,決定到Nikki囚室把「東西」搜出來.編劇玩的把戲是讓Jim Fenner從頭到尾不說出他在找行動電話,所以Helen無法從Nikki口中知道為什麼Jim Fenner要找碴,亦使得Nikki倍覺誤解,只好用惡言來宣洩怒意.
Jim: Come on, hand it over! 快點,交出來!
Nikki: Just what is your problem Mr. Fenner? 你到底是麼問題,費拿先生?
Jim: Listen doll. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Where is it? 聽著,女娃兒.我們可以來軟的,也可以來硬的.東西在那?
Nikki: I suppose an explanation is out of the question is it? 我想你應先解釋是什麼吧?
Jim: Right if that's the way you want it. UP! Just tell us where it is love! 好吧,如果妳就是要來硬的.起來!招出來東西在那?
Nikki: Where WHAT is? 什麼東西?
Jim: Oh come on Wade; don't make it hard on yourself. 別裝了,姓魏的,別把事情弄得更糟.
Nikki: I'm warning you Fenner.....Don't even think about it! 我警告你,費拿(Jim瞄著Nikki的書)....想都別想.
Jim: So that's where it is! 原來在那裡!
Nikki: WHAT?? 什麼?
Jim: Amongst all this crap that you read! Thrown it out the window have we? 在妳讀的那些爛書裡.把它丟到窗外吧?
Nikki: You are a total bastard. 你真是混蛋.
Dominic: Hey, hold on Nikki. 嘿,理智點,尼琪.(Dominic這時才趕到)
Nikki: Don't you touch me! You're as bad as he is! 不要碰我!(Nikki反射性打了Dominic一巴掌,場面大亂)你跟他一樣可惡.
Jim: ASSISTANCE. Call cell. 來支援.囚室呼叫.
Nikki: GET OFF ME. GET OF ME. 放開我,放開我.(一堆獄官來制服Nikki,這大概是第三次了)
Dominic: Nikki! 尼琪!
Nikki: I haven't done anything. 我什麼都沒做.
Jim: Right, take her down the block. NOW! 對,把她抓下去.快!
Jim Fenner想趁Nikki單獨囚禁之便,再度要脅.
Dominic: Face it Nikki, you gave us no choice. 看清楚,尼琪,是妳讓我們別無選擇.
Nikki: Bastards 混蛋
Jim: Some people never learn. You better go and report this Dominic. Tell Miss Stewart that Wade is in serious trouble, and why. 有些人就是學不會.你最好趕快去通報,多明尼克.告訴司徒女士,魏惹了大麻煩,及發生原因.
等Dominic離開,Jim馬上再靠過來:"I could still let you off the block. Just tell me where it is. 我還是能讓妳脫身.只要告訴我東西在那裡."
Nikki: It's in your dreams Fenner, that's where it is. 在你的白日夢裡費拿,就在那裡.
Dominic來面告Helen,但他的資訊對釐清案情沒有太大幫助.
Helen: A tip off? From whom? 有人通風報信?誰?
Dominic: Well it was Jim who knew, but he wouldn't say. 只有吉姆知道,但他不肯說.
Helen: Nikki Wade taking drugs? 尼琪魏藏匿毒品?
Dominic: Well I thought it was a bit out of character. But then she got all defensive and ....and she hit me. 我知道不像她的為人.但她一直反擊....還打了我.
Helen: But you didn't find anything. 但是你們沒有搜出毒品?
Dominic: No. 沒有.
Helen: Alright Dominic, thank you. I'll look into this straight away. 好吧,多明尼克,謝謝.我會馬上來了解.
Helen來找Jim Fenner問清楚.
Helen: I gather you had a problem with Nikki Wade. 我猜你對尼琪魏有偏見.
Jim: I think that's putting it mildly. 沒有那麼簡單.
Helen: You searched her cell without another officer present 沒有其他獄官在場,你便搜了她的囚室.
Jim: She was up to something, I had to move quick! 她正想動手腳,我得立刻行動.
Helen: Really? 真的嗎?
Jim: Listen just trust me will you? 妳信任我,好嗎?
Helen: I don't think I like this unorthodox approach of yours Jim. 我不喜歡你這種體制外的作法,吉姆.
Jim: Well I know you have a special interest in Nikki Wade. I'll call you every time I have dealings with her in the future shall I? 我知道妳對尼琪魏別有興趣.我以後只要是處理她的事情,一定會通知妳,好嗎?
Helen: Did you find anything? 你有搜出什麼?
Jim: No, not this time. Look, I know I'm not on her Christmas card list but she took a swing at Dominic. I'd say she had something to hide, wouldn't you? 不,這次沒有.我知道她不喜歡我,不過她對多明尼克揮了一拳.我認為她應該是藏了東西,不是嗎?
Helen: OK. I just want to make the most informed decision that I can. 好吧.我只是要證據充實再下決定.
Jim: I've seen prisoners shipped out for less. 我見識過,比這情節輕微的犯人被轉獄.
Helen: Let me be the judge of what happens, alright? 這由我來作裁定,好嗎?
Helen最後才來找Nikki問話,可惜不是交叉對質,而是預設立場.
Helen: OK Nikki, this is it. I have given you every chance to make things better for yourself here. 好了,尼琪,到此為止.我已盡全力改善妳在這裡的情況.
Nikki: Lucky they're still alive. 真幸運她們還活著.
Helen: Oh that's really intelligent talk. 真是耍嘴皮子.
Nikki: Do you honestly think I've got drugs in my cell? 妳真的認為我在囚室裡藏毒品?
Helen: If an officer suspects you have...如果任何一個獄官懷疑妳有...
Nikki: Don't give me that Fenners bent as they come, and you know it. 別聽信費拿的一派胡言,妳應該曉得的.
Helen: I will not have allegations of that kind made against my staff. You're already on the block for a week. You'll lose your enhanced over this, don't make things any worse for yourself. 我不允許對我的同仁作這種人身攻擊.妳已被隔離監禁一個星期.喪失昇等廂的禮遇,別再把事情弄得更糟.(到現在Helen還在保護Jim Fenner的職業貞操?)
Nikki: The bastard was chucking my books around. 那王八蛋把我的書亂丟.
Helen: You only have those books because of me, any more of this crap and I will take them away. 因為我,妳才能擁有這些書.妳再胡鬧,我就全部拿走.(Helen這種態度只適合對犯人,不適合對情人)
Nikki: What? 什麼?
Helen: You heard. 妳明知故問.
Nikki: You're only behaving like this because you can't handle it. So why don't you give in Miss and stick your tongue down my throat. 妳這樣做是因為妳不敢面對現實.別再硬撐了,乾脆來和我大吻特吻吧!
(我第一次按照字面中譯「伸出吞頭來舔我的頸子」,有熱心的人建議換個方式來譯.總而言之,字意看起來都很挑逗!但是Nikki用惡狠的語氣來說,絕對是氣話.但回頭一想,這不就是虐戀味?)
Helen: You just don't get it do you Nikki? 妳就是聽不懂,尼琪?
另一方面,獄中來了一位水電工Josh.Denny或許是嫌棄了空中包裹,順著Yvonne的要求,請Josh人工夾帶內衣進來.這傢伙從50元抬價到100元,不敢相信他後來從事獄官沒惹出像Jim Fenner一樣的亂子.
Josh便在獄外與Yvonne的女兒Lauren拿貨拿錢.Lauren在外面挺忙的,還要代送生日禮金給Denny的母親,讓她可以有錢來探訪Denny.Yvonne還在探訪前幫Denny化妝,讓她用愉悅的心情來見母親.Denny像是滿懷夢想的小女生,告訴媽媽把錢存起來,將來租一間公寓,等出獄後一起生活.....什麼叫做Shit Happens?就是以上這些夢想,十之八九都落空.
Karen來看Nikki.
Karen: Well....?? 怎麼樣?
Nikki: Is that an injection?.....or an enquiry after my health? 那是注射針嗎?.....還是我的健康檢查報告?
Karen: Don't get smart with me Nikki. 別跟我耍聰明,尼琪.
Nikki: Who are you anyway? It's Helen Stewart I wanna see. 妳是那根蔥?我只見海倫司徒.
Karen: Is it now? Well I better warn you, I'm not the kind of officer who runs errands for prisoners. 是嗎?我要警告妳,我不是那種會對犯人略施小惠的獄官.
Nikki: Well as long as you piss off when I ask you to, quite frankly I couldn't give a toss. 只要我叫妳滾開,妳就滾開,老實說,我才懶得理妳.
Karen: I can't work out whether you want trouble or whether you're just stupid. But either way, you're in for it. 搞不懂妳是想惹麻煩,還是真的很笨.不管如何,妳就是找碴.
Nikki: oh golly! 天呀!
Helen: Everything alright? 還好嗎?
Karen: Prisoner's been demanding to see you. In language of an insulting nature. I'm putting her on report. 犯人執意要見妳.她用語言侮辱.我會記在報告上.(說完便離開,留下Helen與Nikki)
Helen: So no improvement in your behaviour. Is that a no? 沒什麼改進.對吧?
Nikki: It's a piss off like I just gave that other tart. You gonna put me on report as well? 我只是叫那個小騷貨滾開.妳也要把我記在報告裡嗎?
Helen: Why are you being like this? Can't you see what you are doing to me? 妳為何這樣?妳看不出來妳對我的影響?
Nikki: And what about what you're doing to me? 那妳對我呢?
Helen: Don't make this any harder for me. 別讓我更不好過.
Nikki: Yeah, must be hard. Getting angry with someone you snogged. 是啊,應該是很不好過,得對妳吻過的人發飆.(這句話有點過火,那次是Nikki吻她,不是Helen主動)
Helen: Oh please Nikki, be serious. 拜託,尼琪,正經點.
Nikki: I wanna make love to you all night long. Is that serious enough? I know I knock Fenner, at least when he fancies a con he has the courage to give her one. 我要整晚和妳作愛.這樣正經嗎?我不喜歡費拿,但至少他喜歡一個犯人,敢採取行動.
(這是另一句虐戀.光是想作,便是這種憤慨的語氣,等到真正要付諸行動,其實是挺嚇人的,在Helen的門外狂捶.)
Nikki倔強至極,Helen別無選擇,只好將她轉走.臨上車前,Nikki想要知道被遷往的地方,Helen只是沈默不語.
<Bad Girls>表示想念的方式,是撫摸對方的照片.其實Nikki先前與Trish分手時,也同樣是撫摸對方的照片.仔細看檔案的紀錄,可看到Nikki是在1997年6月5日入獄.如果她真要服刑10年,2007年夏天才會出獄.
話說Shell的騷擾電話玩過火,把她和Jim Fenner的偷情活動透過行動電話進行實況轉播.他太太Marilyn氣得衝來興師問罪,不但把他掃地出門,還把他一巴掌打得站不穩,真是大快人心!
Jim Fenner迷惑地帶著家當走回室內,不解為什麼太太反應激烈.此時遇到Helen揭開謎底:
Helen: I've just been to see Simon. I suppose you should be the first to know. 我剛見了賽門.我想你應該早就知道了.
Jim: What's that then? 什麼事?
Helen: Shipped out Nikki Wade this morning. 今早轉走了尼琪魏.
Jim: This morning? 今早?
Helen: Before lunch. Happy now? 中午之前.滿意了嗎?
Jim Fenner急著Shell討論他太太發現姦情之事.剛開始以為是Nikki隔空偷錄,或是暗藏機關.沒多久,他便發現Shell藏在腋下的行動電話.他狠打一頓,Shell受傷流血撲倒在地.Jim馬上離開囚室,出門時遇見Karen,他輕描淡寫說Shell是麻煩貨,要Karen進去看她.
Karen一看大事不好,可是Shell第一時間竟說是自已跌倒,以後再翻供時,便賠掉自己的可信度.同一時間Jim把手機塞在剩菜堆中消滅證物.
Karen把抽噎的Shelll帶到Helen面前.
Helen: Shell, you better not be making this up. 雪兒,妳最好實話實說.
Shell: It's true miss. He thought... 是真的,長官,他以為...
Helen: He thought what? 他以為什麼?
Shell: He thought I was ringing his wife, someone's told her I was having an affair with him. 他以為我打給他太太,有人告訴她我和他有婚外情.
Helen: And were you? 妳有嗎?
Shell: Yes miss, He's been forcing me to. 是的,是他逼迫我.
Helen: How long has this been going on? 發生多久了?
Shell: He's been doing it for years. He said if I told anyone he'd kill me. He done the same to Rachel Hicks. 好幾年了.他說如果我告訴別人,就要殺了我.他對瑞秋亦是如法炮製.
Helen: He had sex with Rachel? 他與瑞秋有性行為?
Shell: At first he thought it was Nikki Wade ringing her, that's why he gave her cell a spin. He wound her up so she did something stupid, get herself shipped out. And then her realised it couldn't have been Nikki, so he turned on me. 起初他以為是尼琪魏打給他老婆,這就是為何他去搜她的囚室.他刺激她去做了傻事,才能把她遷走.後來他知道不可能是尼琪,才過來找我.(Nikki的清白竟然是靠她的死對頭才洗刷)
Helen: And why would he do that? 他為什麼要這樣做?
Shell: He found a mobile phone in my cell. I know I done wrong miss, but I was only ringin my mates, I never phoned his wife. Honest. Be pretty stupid of me wouldn't it? 他在我房間找到行動電話.我知道我錯了,長官,我只有打給朋友,沒有打給他老婆.我很笨,對吧?
Helen: Is there anything else you want to tell me? 妳還有什麼話要說?
Shell: No miss, that's it. 沒有了,就這樣.
Helen: You better go get some treatment, Miss Betts will take you to medical. 妳最好接受治療,貝小姐會帶妳去醫護室.
等到Karen和Shell一離開,Helen馬上打電話給運囚車,請他們轉回Nikki.可以想見Helen的權限有多大.
Helen接著立刻向Simon報告,但是Jim Fenner很快便跟著出現.Jim Fenner每次手腳都很快速,讓第一季常遲到的Helen沒有時間優勢.
Simon: I expect you know what this is about Jim. 你該知道是怎麼回事,吉姆.
Jim: Shell Dockley by any chance? 是不是雪兒杜?
Simon: This is a very serious allegation she has made against you.她對你的指控非常嚴重.
Jim: That she's made against me? Huh, I might have known. 她指控我?哼,我早該料到.
Simon: She says you assaulted her. 她說你對她施暴.
Jim: She tries to kill me and I get accused of assault. 她想殺我,我卻得到施暴的罪名.
Simon: Perhaps you'd like to give us your version of events? 或許你給我們你的說詞.
Jim: Well I was walking past her cell and I heard her talking. I pop my head in and caught her with a mobile phone. I tried to take it off her and she just went berserk. Well I managed to hold her down, but she started banging her head on the floor. Obviously she was going to do herself serious injury so I got out. Karen Betts was outside so I told her to go in and help. 我經過她的囚室聽到她說話.我伸頭一看,見她手持行動電話.我試圖取走,她便氣得發狂.我想將她制服,但她開始用頭撞擊地板.顯然她想自殘,所以我便離開.凱倫在門口,我就告訴進去幫忙.
Helen: Where's the mobile now? 手機在那裡?
Jim: Well she's still got it. 她還拿著.
Simon: Dockley says you took it. 杜說你拿去了.
Jim: Well obviously she's got rid of it then. 顯然她把它丟了.
Helen: That was two hours ago, why didn't you report it? 這發生在二個小時之前,你為何沒通報?
Jim: That's exactly what I have done. It's all there. Chapter and verse. 我就在做這事.都寫在這裡,還分章節.
Helen: Jim, has your wife been receiving anonymous phone calls lately? 吉姆,你太太最近接過不明人士的電話嗎?
Jim: Not that I know of, why? 就我所知沒有,為何問起?
Helen: Well Dockley said you told her she had. 杜說你告訴她有此事.
Jim: What kind of calls? 什麼樣的電話?
Helen: Accusing you and Dockley of having an affair. 說你和杜有染.
Jim: What? 什麼?
Helen: She says it's true. 她說是真的.
Jim: Well she's a liar. 她說謊.
Helen: She says you forced her. 她說你逼迫她.
Jim: Do you think I'd risk my career and my marriage for that? She is deranged. 妳認為我會為此放棄前途和婚姻?她瘋了.(這個理由聽起來很熟悉)
Helen: You know that there'll be a police enquiry into this assault. 你知道將會有警方介入調查傷害案件.
Jim: Good, I'm pleased to hear it. 很好,我很高興會進行調查.
Helen: They'll want to speak to Mrs Fenner. 他們會詢問費拿太太.
Jim: Fine, I'll let her know. Right, unless there's anything else? 很好,我會告訴她.好了,還有別的事嗎?
Simon: No I think that will be all for now Jim. 沒了,我想就這樣了.
Helen: EXCUSE ME SIR, these are extremely serious allegations. Until they are proved or otherwise Mr Fenner's position here is untenable. I recommend he be suspended on full pay, pending an enquiry. 對不起長官,這可是很嚴重的指控.在查證完成之前,費拿先生須停職.我建議在調查期間暫停全薪.
Simon: I think that's a little extreme don't you? 我認為這太嚴厲了,不是嗎?
Helen: I'd say, it was standard procedure myself 我認為這是標準程序.
Simon: Unfounded allegations of dubious providence. 這是還沒有明證的指控.
Helen: Look, either he goes or I go! If you don't care what goes on in this prison I'll take it up with Area management. 聽著,不是他走,就是我走!如果你不在乎這個監獄發生的事,我就上報上層主管.(太棒了,Helen終於向Simon強力反擊)
Nikki一下車發現她回到原地,沒有人告訴她為什麼,以為被開了一場大玩笑.在她離開的這段期間,Helen正在進行她最大的賭注.
Helen: Thanks for backing me up. 謝謝你的支持.
Simon: You left me no choice, did you? 妳讓我別無選擇,不是嗎?
Helen: But you do agree that we did the right thing? 但你贊同我們是正確的吧?
Simon: I'm not sure I do, no. 我不認同,不.
Helen: So what do you propose? 那你建議呢?
Simon: Well he's been suspended now, he can stay off while we have some kind of enquiry. I don't see him being away much longer than that. 他現在已被停職,當我們進行調查時,他可以先離開一陣子.但是我不認為他得就此離開.
Helen: So it would be the usual whitewash job? 所以這只是例行的表面工作?
Simon: Jim Fenner's one of our best officers. 吉姆費拿是我們的優秀員工.
Helen: Hold on a minute Simon. That man has just beaten up one of our inmates. 等等,賽門.這個人剛把一位犯人打傷.
Simon: That's her story. 那是她一面之詞.
Helen: And its one that I believe. I also believe that he was having an affair with her; I've suspected it for a long time. He was doing the same with Rachel Hicks, and there's probably others. 我相信她,而且我很早就懷疑他們倆人有性關係;我也懷疑他對瑞秋如法炮製,說不定還有其他受害者.
Simon: This is all conjecture. 全是猜測之詞.
Helen: We've been here before which is why we need a full investigation. Why else are you suspending him if not for that? 以前我們就有過爭論,所以我們要有一個全盤調查.如果不是為了調查,我們幹嘛把他停職?
Simon: Well there are procedures. 這是個程序.
Helen: OH, so that you can be seen to be doing your job? So that it doesn't affect your promotion? 哦,這樣你就能看起來像善盡職責?這樣就不會影響到你的昇遷?
Simon: Now look here Helen, I've had enough of this. 聽著,海倫,我受夠了妳的胡說八道.
Helen: That's it Simon. Pull rank! Just sweep it under the carpet.沒錯,賽門你在濫用職權.只是把髒東西掃到地毯下.
Simon: Can I remind you that I am in charge in Larkhall whether you like it or not. 我要提醒妳,不論妳喜不喜歡,是我在掌管拉寇.
Helen: WELL I DON'T LIKE IT! I don't like it one bit. 老實說,我不喜歡!我一點都不喜歡.(忍耐是有限度的,此地不留娘,自有留娘處)
Helen神情平靜地來看Nikki.當時電視機前的觀眾還不知道Helen對Simon大吼之後,是如何全身而退?
Helen: Nikki, I want to apologise. You told me you were provoked by Fenner; I have reason to believe you now. 尼琪,我向妳道歉.妳說妳受到費拿挑釁;我應該相信妳的話.
Nikki: Oh well bloody marvellous. I'm shipped round the country in a cattle truck while you work out the obvious. 真是太好了.我被小卡車繞遍全國,只因為要等妳看清這顯而易見的事實.
Helen: I said I'm sorry 我說了我對不起嘛
Nikki: So what's brought this on then? 好吧,怎麼發現的?
Helen: Fenner's just been suspended. Over a suspected relationship with an inmate. 費拿被停職了.因為與犯人有性關係.
Nikki: Shell Dockley by any chance? 該不會是雪兒杜?
Helen: Listen Nikki, about what happened today. I let my emotions cloud my professional judgement. I thought I could fight them, I was stupid. 聽著,尼琪,今天發生的事情.我讓情感蒙蔽住專業判斷.我以為可以克服,我真笨.
Nikki: What are you saying? 妳說什麼?(老實說,我也一直不了解Helen的邏輯)
Helen: I won't be looking after your case anymore. 我不能再照顧妳了.
Nikki: What? 什麼?
Helen: I've resigned. 我辭職了.
Nikki: Helen, you can't do this to me this isn't fair. 海倫,妳不可以這樣對我,這不公平.
Helen: Listen, I've just suspended Jim Fenner when I'm guilty of the same offence. In thought if not in deed. 聽著,我判吉姆費拿停職,自己卻犯同樣錯誤.我們的動機相同,只差我沒有付諸行動.(熱心網友建議我調整In thought if not in deed的意思.論跡(deed)不論心(thought),是法律上對道德的最低要求,我覺得Helen是要求較高的道德標準,連思想上的逾越都不許可,所以如何解除她自己在這場愛情的限制是很大的挑戰.)
Nikki: So what now? 現在怎麼辦?
Helen: Well I'm not your jailer anymore.....which means I can do this! 我不再是妳的典獄長....所以我可以這樣做.
在UK版DVD的未收錄畫面,有這一段採半身取景的中景鏡頭.如果要體會剪輯的魔力,這是很好的對照素材.正式版中,當Helen說出上述的道白,採用的是臉部大特寫,你可以看到她微微眨眼,長長的睫毛勾動,再加上嘴角淺淺上揚的笑容,這個吻的準備動作實在太完美了!
這個相吻的取景timing,我研究很久.最好的時刻通常是雙方剛接觸的時候,才不會鼻子臉頰擠成一團.有些小朋友曾討論為什麼接吻時眼睛要閉起來?第一個原因是:相距那麼近時,什麼也看不清楚,還不如不要看;第二個原因是:同時使用太多感官時容易分心,不能專注相吻時的美好.在Fingersmith原著裡,Sue與Maud第一次相吻是在黑暗中,沒有了視覺,觸覺才得以驚心動魄.
Helen: What 怎麼了
Nikki: Say you'll visit me. PLEASE. Say you'll visit me. 告訴我妳會來看我.求求妳.說妳會來看我.
Helen: Nikki, it's too difficult. 尼琪,這太難了.
Nikki: Helen, you can't leave me like this. This is Shit! 海倫,妳不能這樣走開.這太扯了!
Helen: Shit happens. 不如意之事,十之八九.
然後,Helen就這樣離開了.Nikki再度留下淚來.因為獄中有太多的悲憤心酸,所以
Nikki的淚珠多到可以串成另一篇專題文章.
最近修正:2007/03/10